Hundreds of people, including one of our readers, reported getting stranger phone calls from 208-758-0218
This is the email I received from Elaine this morning:
I enjoy reading your newsletter every Monday morning.
I have a question that you may or may not want to address. Recently, I have been receiving recorded phone calls on my answering machine which consists of “Small dog”. (About one or two calls a day over the last week on both home and work phones.) The caller id says P30PLE RSPNZ with a phone number of 208-758-0218. I googled this to see if I could get any information on it. It seems that this is happening to many other people.
My question(s) are: (1) How can this be stopped? (2) Is this legal? and
(3) What is the point, what are they trying to do or what is the scam?
What should one do?
Do NOT respond, hang up, note the time of the call. Report it through this site here.
I reported it this morning to the Attorney General’s office and to the Consumer Protection Commissioner.
Meanwhile, I looked the phone number up on the Internet and some of the more astute callers thought it might be a way to trick people to say YES on the phone and then give them a tool to doctor the tape proving you bought something.
Don’t talk to anyone you don’t know on the phone.
- Connecticut Issues Second Consumer Alert about IRS Telephone Scam
- Phone Scam Gets Busted By Hartford Woman
- Warning Of Payday Collection Scheme
- “Tax Lady,” Sued by Calif Atty Gen For “Heartless Scheme” to Swindle Thousands of Taxpayers
- Disregard Rumors Of Telemarketers Getting Access To Cell Phone Numbers
- Robo Calls From 203-600-9827 Bugging Ct Residents