Home Improvement Contractor Off to Jail

$60,000 in Restitution Paid to Four Home Improvement Victims
Ansonia contractor to serve 6 months in jail for unlawful home improvement work

HARTFORD, September 25 — Four homeowners who lost money to an Ansonia home improvement contractor will get some of their money back, while the contractor is heading to jail, Consumer Protection Commissioner Jerry Farrell, Jr. said today.

John Hunt III of Ansonia was convicted last week on two criminal counts of working as an unregistered home improvement contractor and sentenced by Judge Burton Kaplan to concurrently serve 6 months in jail for each count.  Further, in a stipulated agreement he signed with the Department of Consumer Protection, Hunt agreed to never again apply for a home improvement contractor registration.

“This contractor repeatedly left homeowners with an unfinished project, damage to their homes, and a smaller bank account,” Farrell said. “In addition, our investigation of these cases turned up faulty contracts, work started without the proper building permits, and work done without a home improvement registration. I’m pleased that the Home Improvement Guaranty Fund is able to provide some financial relief to these consumers, and I am expecting Mr. Hunt to steer clear of home improvement work in the future.  We will be extremely watchful.”

Four consumer complaints were filed in 2007 and 2008 against J III Remodeling, LLC, whose sole member is John Hunt III. The homeowners, from Danbury, Stratford and Shelton, complained of shoddy or unfinished work, and damage to their homes that had to be repaired or completed by additional contractors. Department investigators conducted a year-long investigation into Hunt’s business practices. Each homeowner will receive $15,000 from the Connecticut Home Improvement Guaranty Fund, administered by the Department of Consumer Protection.

Similar Posts:

Share