If you think you are immune to identity theft, think again.
A new study found that there are more than 10,000 identity fraud rings throughout the country.
An identity fraud ring is a group of people actively collaborating to commit identity fraud.
The study by ID Analytics found many of these rings were made up of career criminals, but also a large number consisted of groups of friends or members of families.
The southeastern United States has the greatest concentration of fraud rings. Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas and Delaware were among the states with the highest number of fraud rings. A significant number of fraud rings were found in rural areas of the country. Story by Natalie Rutledge for LowCards.com.
- For Law and Order, Avoid the ‘Law and Order’ States
- Identity Fraud: 12.6 Million Victims Last Year
- The best and the Worst States — in Map Form
- How a Neighbor Stole Your Identity
- Doctors To Be Trained To Spot Elderly Patients Vulnerable To Scams
- Debit Card Scam Hits Michaels Stores In Massachusetts And 19 Other States